Election day! Both Erica and I forgot to shoot our day in the life earlier in the week, so yesterday we caught up…which was perfect timing considering the suspenseful, momentous day! As usual, you will find Erica’s post over here.

I started my day at 5.30am. Too nervous about the election to sleep. Had some tea and checked email.

Had to finish the white house cake for delivery before 11.30am, so I was pretty focused on that, and this was the only picture of the process.

Got done by 11am and boxed it all up. My friend Nidhi came over to help me load it into the car, but I was way too worried about that process and forgot to take pictures.

Packed a repair kit just in case anything went wrong in transport.

Also forgot my camera at home so the next few shots are from my ancient phone. This was Rahman, my very careful and helpful driver!

The cake was for a retirement home, and this was the party setup they had. Apparently there was going to be an Obama impersonator later, as well as a Giuliani, because they couldn’t find a Romney. Kind of wish I could have stayed.

By the time I was done it was 1pm and I was starving, so I went to Peacefood Cafe, which is a great vegan spot on 83rd and Amsterdam.

Had a japanese pumpkin sandwich with caramelized onions and walnuts. Yum.

Then a piece of raw key lime pie. It was AMAZING. The picture makes it look very sad. Don’t pay any attention. Got a piece to take home for Vernon, which I ate half of on Wednesday. Must try to replicate soon!!

And look what was across the street: A Steven Alan outlet store. I got excited but was then underwhelmed by what I found inside (thank goodness for my wallet).

Got on the B train at 81st, which is exciting because it wasn’t running for days after hurricane Sandy.

On the train, I listened to the audiobook version of “Whatever you do don’t run: True Tales of a Botswana Safari Guide” (which is on my phone, so I couldn’t take a picture of it with my phone. It both terrifies me and REALLY makes me want to drop everything and become a safari guide.  Stared at my feet (and those of the woman across from me) and fantasized about that.

This guy came up the stairs in front of me in Park Slope. Good for him. Though I suspect he was the only non-partisan in NY?

When we took the cake to the car, the super saw us and said “man, I want some cake,” so when I got home, frosted some cake scraps for him.

Then did a few loads of laundry.

Tackled the incredible mess in the kitchen.

With help from Obama.

V came home early (yay) (in the background is the unfinished “turn our wine fridge into a Tardis project).

V brought mail from my mom: a German magazine with Christmas cookie insert. Very exciting. Thanks mom!!

Shredded some paper that was part of the kitchen mess.

While Didi watched from her perch in the corner of the couch.

V. cleaned the fish tank.

I folded laundry while listening to NPR election coverage.

And Didi enjoyed the warm clothes.

Went to Geido, our favorite Japanese restaurant down the block for dinner

Had soba salads.

V. had fish.

I had tofu steak.

Shared steamed broccoli…

and asparagus with sesame sauce.

Came home and put some veggie soup on for breakfast.

Prophetic soup noodles:

Sat down to watch some election coverage.

Then decided to take a break and watch Homeland.

Cuddled the cutest kitty in the world.

Drank a lot of wine.

Refreshed Facebook every few minutes to commiserate with everyone who was on the edge of their seats.

And screamed and did a happy dance when Obama’s victory was finally declared. Phew!